Home Advisor’s Tips For Energy Savings: Use Them And Watch Your Savings Increase
At Symbiont Service Corp., energy savings have long been one of our core values and one of the main benefits we give our customers. To help our Englewood-area neighbors save energy (and save money on utility bills), we offer up these energy savings tips for Florida residents from the federal Energy Star program’s Home Advisor:
- Have your air ducts sealed. The HVAC system is the biggest single user of energy in most homes, but also provides the biggest opportunities for energy savings. One way to improve HVAC efficiency is to seal leaks in your air ducts. It’s not uncommon for air ducts to leak out one-fifth of the air produced by the air conditioner or heater, which forces the system to run longer and expend more energy to make the house comfortable.
- Have your home’s exterior sealed. It should be obvious that leaving the door open on a hot afternoon wastes air conditioning, but some homes can lose almost as much air through small leaks around the doors, windows, and through the attic or crawl space.
- Improve your insulation. Along with sealing air leaks, increasing your home’s insulation levels can keep the heat out and the cool air in (or vice versa). For Florida’s Gulf Coast, the recommended insulation level is R-30 for the attic, and R-13 everywhere else.
- Choose a programmable thermostat. Unless you stay in your house 24/7, a programmable thermostat can save energy by cutting back on air conditioning or heating during times you are not at home.
- Invest in high-efficiency HVAC equipment. Advances in technology have resulted in new air conditioning and heating systems that are dramatically more efficient than those from previous decades. So, especially if your current system is getting old, you may want to invest in a high-efficiency HVAC system.
- Replace your water heater. Similar to HVAC equipment, water heaters have also made big strides recently. Look into new Energy Star qualified designs when replacing your old hot water tank.
At Symbiont Service Corp., we can provide a professional energy evaluation to find out which changes would provide you with the biggest energy savings. Contact us today with any questions. We’ll be happy to help.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, click here to download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Symbiont Service Corp. serves Englewood, Florida and the surrounding areas. To get started, check out our website.