Practical Tips That Make Home Comfort And Savings A Priority
Discussions of home ownership usually turn to ways that homeowners can save money. However, most homeowners usually frame the discussion as a conflict between savings and home comfort, assuming that each dollar saved comes at the expense of some physical discomfort they must endure. Fortunately for residential property owners, there are a number of effective energy-saving tips and tricks that allow for home comfort while still protecting you from outrageous energy bills. Being aware of some of these techniques is a great way to live an environmentally-conscious lifestyle while still enjoying your home comfort and the benefits of modern appliances.
- Remember to unplug appliances that are rarely used. An electronic device that is plugged in will still consume energy, even if it is not in use. So if you have a toaster, second refrigerator, or other appliance that you rarely use, it makes sense to leave it unplugged until you need it.
- Be willing to compromise on the temperature inside your home. Setting your thermostat at 72 degrees Fahrenheit instead of 70 during the summer is unlikely to produce a noticeable difference in your level of home comfort, but will lead to appreciable savings on your energy bill for the month.
- Realize that fans will not cool a room if left on all day. Fans are efficient at cooling the occupants in a room–not the room itself–due to the wind-chill effect that they create. If you don’t have air conditioning and instead use a fan to improve your home comfort, leaving it on all day while you’re at work or school doesn’t make the room or house any cooler; it will only be an expensive waste. Turn fans on when you enter a room, and turn them off when you leave the room, to conserve energy and save money on bills.
- As always, be conscious of turning off lights in rooms you aren’t using and while you’re out of the house. This is probably the easiest way to reduce your energy without adversely affecting your home comfort.
- Invest in energy-efficient appliances. Research energy-efficient appliances, and see how long it would take to recoup your initial investment in them. Some are able to pay for themselves within a few short years.
There are many companies offering energy-efficient appliances and home heating and cooling options, but you need to find one that offers the best possible service. At Symbiont Services, we take pride in our commitments to our customers and to the environment. We are NATE-certified HVAC professionals who would be happy to help you enhance your home’s comfort while making it more energy-efficient–contact ustoday.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, click here to download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Symbiont Service Corp. serves Englewood, Florida and the surrounding areas. To get started, check out our website.