Indoor Air Quality Alert: Is Your Attached Garage Degrading It?
Did you know that your garage can change the air quality inside your home? If you have an attached garage, anything that gets in the air inside the garage can enter your home. If you keep a lot of harmful pollutants and chemicals in your attached garage, or if you run your car inside the garage frequently, you can fill your home with dangerous air pollutants. You can improve the indoor air quality of your Florida home by making some of the following changes in your garage:
- Keep the garage door open as much as possible. This will allow any contaminated air to escape outdoors. Never run your vehicles while the garage door is closed, to prevent the buildup of harmful carbon monoxide and other car emissions.
- Move contaminants out of the garage. Place harmful items, such as pesticides, herbicides, chemicals, paint, gasoline, harsh cleaners and other materials in outside storage units. You can also place the items inside airtight containers and only open the containers when outdoors. This will prevent your indoor air from getting polluted.
- Move gas-powered appliances, such as the lawnmower, to external storage units as well. These items can give off powerful emissions that can damage your health.
- Consider adding an exhaust fan to the garage. The exhaust fan can vent dirty air outside the garage. The fan will also lower the air pressure inside the garage, discouraging dirty air from entering the house.
- Seal the joint between the house and garage. If your garage is unfinished, finish the wall between the house and garage with insulation and drywall as a barrier to air pollutants.
- Keep doors and windows inside the garage open as much as possible to allow fresh air in and polluted air out. The more air circulates between the garage and outdoors the better.
For more tips on how to improve the indoor air quality of your home or garage, or for any other HVAC questions, contact us at Symbiont Service Corp. We provide Florida residents with expert HVAC care year-round.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about indoor air quality and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Symbiont Service Corp. serves Englewood, Florida and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!