Tips On How To Tell When It’s Time To Replace Your Air Conditioner
There are several telltale signs to look for if you’re wondering whether you should replace your air conditioner. While it may be tempting simply to repair your existing unit, it is often cheaper in the long run to get a new air conditioner. A unit that is already beginning to show signs of failure will often need more and more repairs, which forces you to spend money that you could have allocated to a new, more efficient model that will also help to lower your cooling costs.
Experts say that it’s probably better to replace your air conditioner under the following conditions:
- Your current air conditioner is more than 10 years old.
- You are noticing uneven levels of cooling in various parts of your home.
- You set your thermostat to a specific level, but your air conditioner is unable to cool your home to the desired temperature.
- You have had to repair your air conditioner on two or more occasions in the past year.
- You’re noticing strange sounds coming from your air conditioner, or lingering odors are left in your home after running the unit.
- Your home cooling costs are rising, despite usage patterns which have not changed.
If you decide to replace your air conditioner, have an HVAC professional to perform a detailed cooling load evaluation. This will ensure your new air conditioner is properly sized, which can save you a lot of money over time.
If you need advice on how to replace your air conditioner, contact the professionals at Symbiont Service Corp. We’ve been serving Florida’s Suncoast since the early 1980s, and we’re happy to provide you with expert assistance and service.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about replacing your air conditioner and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.