Lower Your Energy Costs By Following These Six Water Conservation Tips
Even though Florida is surrounded by vast bodies of water, water conservation efforts remain important, as they not only preserve the resource, but also decrease your utility bill in the process. Conserving water is not a difficult task and establishing water-wise habits doesn’t require expensive equipment or complicated remodeling.
Seven simple steps can lower your water bill, all easy ways to increase your energy savings. You can:
- Check for leaky faucets and pipes. A dripping faucet can waste more than 20 gallons of water every day. Not only are they wasteful, but leaky pipes can also damage the parts of your home where the water pools.
- Use your wastebaskets instead of the toilet to flush items like used facial tissue or cigarette butts. Besides being a waste of water, these items tend to plug the drain pipes that carry the waste to your septic tank or sewer.
- Verify that your toilet tank is not leaking into the bowl. Add food coloring to the water in the tank. If you see colored water in the bowl, it’s a sure sign that the tank is leaking.
- Pick a time when you won’t be using any water for several hours. Write down the numbers your water meter displays. Check it later to see if reads the same. If not, you have a leak somewhere in the system.
- Use low flow showerheads and sink aerators on all the sinks in the house. You can also take shorter showers, which leads to significant energy savings because you don’t need to heat as much water.
- If your toilet uses more than 1.5 gallons of water per flush, fill a plastic bottle with a bit of sand or pebbles to weight it down. Replace the cap and put it in the toilet’s tank to displace some of the water.
- Insulate the hot water pipes running to your tubs, sinks and showers. This reduces the amount of heat you lose to the atmosphere and brings hot water to your faucet faster.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about energy costs and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Symbiont Service Corp. serves Englewood, Florida and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!