Dust-Free Home: Increase Your Home’s Potential With These 5 Tips
Because most Englewood area homes are now tightly sealed to prevent energy loss, indoor contaminants like dust can build up to dangerous concentrations, posing health risks as well as unsightly living spaces. While keeping a completely dust-free home isn’t possible, here are five of our favorite tips for reducing household dust.
- Make sure your air filters are clean. If an air filter is doing its job, it’s trapping dust. But the more dust it traps, the less it can do its job. Check your air filters once a month to contribute to a dust-free home. Not only will it make your living space more pleasant, it will improve the performance of your HVAC system.
- Get a handle on indoor humidity. Humidity is a big issue for Florida homes. Many take the step of installing whole-house dehumidifiers, which work with the existing HVAC system to continually keep humidity at comfortable, safe levels. A healthy relative humidity can help with a dust-free home, prevent mold growth, and protect possessions from high moisture levels.
- Vacuum frequently. Textiles shed minuscule fibers constantly. Walking across a carpet or sitting in an upholstered chair sends up invisible clouds of dust particles. Use a vacuum with strong suction and agitators for carpets, and use attachments to vacuum upholstery regularly.
- Wash your bedding every week. Sheets and bedding emit as much dust (sometimes more) than carpets and furniture. Keeping your bedding fresh can remove the loosest particles. If you have items that must be dry cleaned, hang them up outside and beat them to shake loose the particles.
- Capture dust from household surfaces. When dusting surfaces, use a polish or a dust mop with an electrostatic charge (such as a Swiffer product) to attract particles. Otherwise, you’re just moving most of them around, and you’ll have to dust again very soon.
A 100 percent dust-free home may be a dream, but it’s one worth chasing. If you’re interested in dust-controlling technology such as a dehumidifier, an upgraded air filter or an electric air purifier, call Symbiont Service Corp. We’ll be happy to help.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about dust-free homes and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Symbiont Service Corp. serves Englewood, Florida and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!
|Pollen image via Shutterstock|